Friday, March 20, 2009

Thoughts on being "Home"


It is bittersweet to be home. Towards the end of our trip, I started to be anxious to be home where life was "easy". I missed a warm shower, washing machine, and pizza :) Being here now, those things seem a bit trivial. I could continue with a cold shower, wash laundry in a bucket, and eat rice and beans and I would be just fine. I miss Haiti in general, save the fact that Hugues is there, more than I even thought I would. But, we have a purpose in being home and that is helpful. This weekend I will begin researching the requirements to setting up a non-profit and hopefully get a game-plan going. Hugues has a list of things he needs to accomplish in Massey, which is helping his hurting heart as well. We got most of the things done that we needed to while we were there. Of course, there are things we are thinking of now that we should have done!

Update on Hugues Visa: The document we need from the National Archives in Haiti still has not been released to Hugues. It has been over a month since we received the request for this document! It is frustrating that we are now waiting on something that is up to us to get, but we have been unable to get it. Hugues took us to Port-Au-Prince yesterday and spent the rest of the day at the archives trying to get it, but did not have any luck. He went again this morning and was told that the document would be released on Tuesday. So, he left his brother some money to DHL it to me on Tuesday and got on a bus back to Massey. Please pray that we actually get this on Tuesday so that we can get our petition rolling again! After USCIS receives it, they will approve our petition quickly (supposedly) and from there it will go to the National Visa Center. I will then have to send in more documentation and fees and after that is all received it will be sent to the US Embassy in Port-Au-Prince. Hugues will have to get a medical exam and then we will have the interview. From the time of the approval, it will likely be at least 8 weeks until the interview, hopefully not longer. At the interview, they will either approve Hugues visa that day, meaning we could fly back to the US that same day if we want to, or they will deny it and we will have to file a waiver. The waiver can be filed directly at the Embassy and usually does not take too long to be processed, but could take a couple months. Hopefully the last half of this process will go much more quickly and smoothly than the first half!

Since we have been gone, Jovan has started crawling like a crazy-man. He is happy to be home where he can have his run of the house! The pool fence will go up soon...he would be out the door in a second if given a chance. He has been very sleepy catching up from all our traveling and actually started sleeping 12 hours straight at night while we were gone. Who knew that Haiti was the way to get him to sleep through the night! :) I will keep updating this as things come up or happen. Even if i don't have much to say, I will try to keep posting pictures regularly. Thank you again to all of you who are so faithfully praying for our family as we start this journey. Your support means the world to us!

No comments: